Actions - Projects
Carbon Fibres & Advanced High Performance Composites Cluster
Home The Project
Five EC project networkswhich will form this cluster, relate to the sustainable production and
recycling of carbon fibres (CF) and carbon fibre composites. CARBOPREC, FIBRALSPEC and
NEWSPEC investigate CF precursor development where cheaper CF and independence from
international monopolies are some of the main aims. EUCARBON aims at independence from non-
European suppliers. REFORM deals with the recycling of CF composites.
Objectives and initiatives
- Development of alternative precursors.
- Optimization of precursors characteristics to further improve carbon fibre performance
- Implementation of pilot/industrial facilities capable of manufacturing innovative carbon fibre
- Focus on more efficient and sustainable products and processes based on life cycle
- Development of modelling and simulation tools to provide further understanding of properties
and phenomena towards the optimisation of carbon fibre products and related manufacturing
- Development of carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) products
- Development of European research and industrial network for carbon fibre products
The main objective of the CF Tech cluster and business network collaborations across borders and
sectoral boundaries is to support through European Strategic Cluster Partnerships the development
of emerging carbon fibre industries, helping SMEs to contribute to the emergence of new value
chains and to take a leading position globally.